Public env files to streamline open source contributions

hi there,

i want to use doppler to streamline contributions for the inlang project.

i set up gitpod and doppler to provide contributors with a one-click dev environment, see Dashboard — Gitpod. gitpod allows the injection of env variable (the doppler token) into the dev environment but not for forks, see Detailed dev setup guide · Issue #312 · inlang/inlang · GitHub.

can i set an env file/token to public and directly commit it into git without doppler revoking the token?

i don’t care about leaking the env variables. as an alternative, i could directly commit the env file to git but then i can’t update it remotely / make sure it’s in sync with production.

note that streamlining open-source contributions is a great marketing opportunity for doppler.

1 Like

Hi @samuelstroschein!

Sorry for the delay getting back to you! Unfortunately, what you’re after isn’t currently possible. If you were to commit a Doppler access token to your public repo, then it would end up getting revoked. I did discuss your use-case with our engineering team and the idea of having a “public” config that doesn’t require credentials to pull down. It’s definitely something we’re interested in supporting in the future! Unfortunately, I don’t know if/when we’ll be able to add that functionality.

We do really like the use-case you’ve got here though! This topic has come up a couple other times, so you’re certainly not alone in wanting something along these lines. Hopefully, we’ll have something you could use before too long. In the mean time, probably your best option would be to bake the env file into your repo for now. Sorry that we don’t have a better workaround for you at the moment!

Regards,
-Joel

Hi Joel,

In the mean time, probably your best option would be to bake the env file into your repo for now.

I thought so. Thanks for getting back to me!