Environmental variable help

Hello - I have a doppler project Project A that is integrated. with a fly.io app. This adds the DOPPLER_CONFIG, DOPPLER_ENVIRONMENT, and DOPPLER_PROJECT secrets to my project. Ok great.

However, in the app for Project A i would like set secrets for doppler Project B. So i install the doppler cli in Project A, create a service token for Project B, and add the service token as a secret named DOPPLER_TOKEN in Project A.

A bit confusing i know. But when i try to set secrets for Project B from within Project A i get the following error

Unable to set secrets
 Doppler Error: This token does not have access to requested project 'PROEJCT A'

I believe DOPPLER_CONFIG, DOPPLER_ENVIRONMENT, and DOPPLER_PROJECT environmental variables are causing he CLI tool to think i want to push secrets to Project A event though my token is for Project B.

Anybody have tips on how to workaround this issue? thanks in advance.

Hi @jbrwn,

There are a couple possible solutions for this. The first, and potentially simplest solution if you’re doing this from a shell script is unset those variables in script:

#!/usr/bin/env bash

DOPPLER_PROJECT=""
DOPPLER_CONFIG=""

doppler secrets set ...

Another option would be to manually specify the project and config using those flags:

doppler secrets set -p PROJECT -c CONFIG ...

Those flags take precedence over the environment variables that are set.

Finally, you could use the --no-read-env flag:

doppler secrets set --token YOUR_TOKEN --no-read-env ...

That option would require you to pass the token in via the flag though, which would mean it would show up in a process listing while the command runs.

Will any of those options work for you?

Regards,
-Joel

Thank you for the quick reply. Wow yes potentially all of these would work. I tried simply unsetting the variables in my shell script and yes that worked. Appreciate the guidance here. Thanks!