Updating referenced secret names updates references

Hello! Loving the cross-project references, really helping us clean up and centralize!

One thing I’ve found that I expect will eventually bite us is that updating a secret’s name does not update the references to it. IE if we have a common project and a API_KEY secret which we reference in another project as ${common.prd.API_KEY} - we may later decide to make the secret name INTERNAL_API_KEY. If we do that, our references continue to point to API_KEY, and we get the literal string value ${common.prd.API_KEY} when pulling from the CLI.

This is pretty much expected (and why I tested it!), as there’s nothing in the docs or the UI to indicate otherwise. That said, it would be great if this feature could be added. We have a huge multitude of projects in Doppler and having to go update those references in such cases would be time consuming and potentially painful if not caught before a deployment.

Thanks!

Hi there!

Thanks for pointing this out! I’ve passed this feedback on to our Product team.

Thanks,
-Joel

2 Likes

We’ve been updating all references by hand so far, thanks to the External References table below the secrets! But we’d love to avoid that and this feature would save us a lot of time/struggle!

Any updates from the Product Team?

Cheers

@Grraahaam This is a definite pain point we want to resolve (it bites us too internally occasionally as well!). Unfortunately, no firm timeline as of yet.

I submitted a piece of feedback about this, but might as well add my opinion here too. I think it would be great if, at the very least, the public API exposed the list of external secret references that are available in the dashboard (ie. https://dashboard.doppler.com/workplace/:workplace/projects/:project/configs/:config).

I’m building a little CLI tool to migrate the name of a few projects and I’ve had to resort to authenticating with my dashboard cookie in order to access those APIs.