Doppler Product Update For August ‘24

Config Inheritance

Config Inheritance is live! Our new feature allows you to inherit all the secrets from other configs into new or existing projects, making reusing those common secrets easier. Any changes made in the parent project are pulled into the child project, including secret name changes, without copying and pasting. Users typically used Secret References as a great way to reuse the same value across multiple projects with the ability to change values in a single place. The downsides?

• To update the secret name, you have to change it in every project that has the reference.
  • To add a group of values to new projects, you have to remember which project and config they are in and then add them to your new project.

It is live today so head over to your Doppler dashboard to check it out, or dive into our docs for more details!

Config Inheritance is available exclusively for Team and Enterprise plans. On our Developer plan? Try Team for free!

The ROI of Secrets Management: Maximizing Security and Efficiency

Check out our latest white paper on The ROI of Secrets Management. Learn how effective secrets management can save your team time, reduce security risks, and drive significant ROI. Dive into real-world examples and key metrics that showcase the tangible benefits for your DevOps and security teams!

2 Likes

One question, what happens to this feature and your configs if you need to drop your account down from a Team/Enterprise account to a free account?

Hello! You will no longer have access to that feature if you downgrade from a Team account. Let me know if you have any other questions!

@rit001 - the child configs that were inheriting secrets from parents will no longer have those secrets included when secrets are downloaded through the CLI, API or automated secret syncs.

I hope this helps!

-James Heimbuck, Principal Product Manager

Thanks that was the detail I was looking for.

The background is that in a recent company I had to do such a downgrade due to funds running low. So any small startup needs to understand what they could lose if they had to do the same.

Sure thing! References would be the other way to solve for this for them if they go down to the Developer Plan but you then have to add all the secrets and if a secret name changes have to change it in all the projects using the reference.

-James Heimbuck, Principal Product Manager